Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blue & Gold Banquet campfire centerpieces

Campfire Centerpiece
picture by Crafts by Amanda blog
It feels as though today wasn't very productive in the "do-something-creative-daily" kind of way, because I didn't create something. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that looking for ideas to create something is in fact "doing something creative". So here is my creative something for the day.

A few years back I became a Boy Scouts. No, I'm not a boy. I'm a girl. But once my sons decided Scouting was their thing, I had to get involve and become a committee member, then the secretary, then the committee chairperson, then a den leader. I've been through various Scout Leader training sessions, summer camps, pinewood derbies, and know more about camping than I ever wished to. Being a boy scout wasn't exaclty something I was aspiring to be when I was growing up. Never quite made it on my bucket list, ya know. But so the joys of being a parent brings us to do things we never thought possible...like going for 3 days without a shower, in 100 degree weather. Eeeeewwwww!! But 'nuff about that.

So, in cub scouting we have an annual banquet called Blue & Gold (as in the uniform colors), where the boys usually create centerpieces and in the case of our pack, napkin rings as well. Our theme this year is "Back to Basics" since last year was the 100th Anniversary of Boy Scouts of America and we WENT ALL OUT. This year, not so much. Whew!

I interviewed a few boys and asked the question. "What does boy scouts mean to you?" Answers: camping, hiking, outdoors! You know, anything that requires no showering for a while...ok, just kidding. They didn't really say that, but I know what they're thinking those boys. So I found the above cute centerpiece idea at Crafts by Amanda's blog, themed around a campfire and adopted it as the centerpiece for our banquet this year. I'll gather up all the supplies this weekend (hello Michael's, it's me again) and we'll be working on these next week at our den meeting.

Will post the finished product then. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.